I’m not from the south, but I sure do love southern food. To me, there is nothing more southern than biscuits. In the south, biscuit making is an art form and recipes are passed down from generation to generation. I didn’t get lucky enough to inherit a biscuit recipe, but I have eaten a ton of biscuits in my life, and have baked so many recipes that I finally came up with the perfect recipe.
The biscuits in this recipe are fluffy and so buttery. The insides are soft, but the exterior is strong enough to hold up if you add gravy or put some eggs and bacon on it.
So, you can put whatever you want on the biscuits, they will taste great, but I highly recommend the honey butter in this recipe. Its sweet, creamy, and salty, and really brings everything together. I wish I could slather it on everything.
There are only 5 ingredients in these biscuits, and 3 in the honey butter. So they are actually really simple to make.
I start the biscuit making process by putting the flour, baking powder, salt, and butter in the food processor and pulse it until the mixture gets crumbly.
Then I pour the dough into a mixing bowl, and add in the buttermilk and mix until the dough gets shaggy.
Then I gather the dough into a ball, kneading it a bit to make smooth, I put the dough ball onto a lightly floured surface, and press it into an oval, about 3/4 inch thick.
Then use a 2 inch round cutter to cut out rounds of dough, and put them on the prepared cookie sheet close together.
After baking for 10-12 minutes they are done! While they bake, stir the butter, honey and sea salt together. One the biscuits have cooled slightly, top them with honey butter and enjoy.
Southern Biscuits with Honey Butter
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 8 tbsp butter
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup salted butter slightly softened
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a food processor combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Cut the butter into small cubes and add them to the bowl of the food processor. Pulse everything together until the butter is cut into the flour and the mixture is crumbly (about 30 seconds).
- Pour the mixture into a large mixing bowl, and stir in the buttermilk and mix until shaggy dough forms.
- Gather the dough into a ball. Place the ball on a lightly floured surface and press dough into a square about 3/4 of an inch thick.
- Dip a 2 inch round cutter (if you dont have a cutter, you can use the rim of a glass) into flour, then cut out rounds of dough. Gather scraps and repeat pressing dough into a square and cutting out rounds until there is no dough left.
- Place the rounds onto the prepared cookie sheet and bake in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes until the biscuits are golden brown.
- Stir butter, honey, and sea salt in a medium bowl until well combined.
- Top biscuits with Honey Butter, serve warm.