To me, spring means it’s fresh berry season. Beautiful strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries can all be bought at local farmers markets. My absolute favorite berry is strawberry, so I get really excited when it gets to be spring in NJ and the strawberries come into season. I decided this week to buy up a lot of different berries and try different recipes out, and the first thing I made was these beautiful berry crumble bars.
These crumble bars are the perfect spring dessert. For these I used strawberries, raspberries and blackberries. You could use any mix of berries you want, or even just one type of berry and it will come out delicious, no matter what. You could also use frozen berries to make this recipe any time. Make sure you cut up the bigger berries into smaller pieces, I chopped up the strawberries and cut the larger raspberries and blackberries into halves.
These bars use the same batter for the crust and the crumble. You just have to make the one batter, toss the fruit with a few ingredients and put it together and bake it. So it ends up being a really easy recipe to make, but they turn out to be really impressive tasting.
Berry Crumble Bars
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup cold butter cubed
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups berries chopped up
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a 9×9 pan with foil or parchment, or spray the pan with nonstick spray
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, 1/2 cup granulated sugar, 1/2 cup brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and vanilla. Add the egg mixture and cold butter cubes to the flour mixture. With a fork or pastry cutter cut mixture together until it resembles coarse crumbs. Pour half of the mixture in the prepared 9×9 pan and press down gently.
- In a separate bowl, combine all the filling ingredients and gently mix them together. Spread the filling evenly over the crust mixture in the pan. Sprinkle remaining crumb mixture over the filling until covered.
- Bake for approximately 40 minutes, until the top is golden brown. Allow to cool completely before cutting into squares