These cookies are very easy to make and taste just like little cinnamon rolls. They use a sugar cookie dough filled with cinnamon sugar and drizzled with icing. If you want to save time, you can buy sugar cookie mix from the store and prepare it with the package directions, or even buy refrigerated sugar cookie dough and thaw it to room temperature, then just start the recipe with the filling instructions.
Cinnamon Roll Cookies
- 2 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup butter room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt, set aside.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until well mixed and fluffy.
- Mix in the egg and vanilla extract. Mix until combined.
- Add the flour mixture in slowly until dough is well formed.
- Divide the dough into 2 equal parts. On a floured piece of parchment paper or silpat mat roll the dough into squares of about 1/4 inch thickness.
- In a small microwave safe bowl, microwave the brown sugar, butter and cinnamon until butter is melted. Approximately 30 seconds- 1 minute. Stir until the mixture is blended.
- Spread half the filling onto each square of cookie dough. Leave about an inch border on each side of the dough empty.
- Tightly roll up each square into a log. Chill the logs in the fridge for at least 2 hours. (this prevents the cookies from spreading when they are baking)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper or with silpat mats.
- Take the rolled dough out of the refrigerator. Cut into slices of about 1/2 inch thick, place on cookie sheets.
- Bake cookies for 11-12 minutes until lightly browned. Allow cookies to cool completely before adding icing.
- Whisk the powdered sugar, milk and vanilla extract together. Drizzle over the cookies with a spoon or piping bag.