When my co-workers birthday was coming up, I had to try to come up with something she would like as a treat. She hates chocolate, so that left out a lot of things I usually make. I remembered that she told me that her favorite ice cream flavor was cherry vanilla, so that inspired me to make cookies that had similar flavors.
These cookies are very simple and delicious. It is important that the cherries be dried as much as possible before folding them into the batter, or the juice will dye the batter a pink color.
Cherry Vanilla Cookies
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 1 jar maraschino cherries cherries washed, dried, and chopped into small chunks
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- In a large bowl cream together the butter and sugars until fluffy.
- Beat in eggs and vanilla extract until combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and salt. Gradually add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix well. Fold in the cherries and the white chocolate chips.
- Drop by rounded teaspoons onto cookie sheets. Bake in the preheated oven for 8-10 minutes until lightly browned.